Welling Utd fly high as Chester suffer defeat

Steve Burr saw his Chester FC side lose for the second time in a week Feb. 1 after visitors Welling United walked away with all three points.

Steve Burr saw his Chester FC side lose for the second time in a week Feb. 1 after visitors Welling United walked away with all three points.

The Wings took the lead moments after kick-off when Harry Cornick picked up the ball in acres of space and ran unchallenged towards John Danby’s goal. The loanee from AFC Bournemouth then comfortably placed his shot under the Blues stopper to put his side 1-0 up.

Welling then went 2-0 up after a smart piece of play from Oluwatabi Sho-Silva on the right found Ross Lafayette in the box who simply slotted the ball under the helpless Danby.

The game was more or less wrapped up for United minutes after the break thanks to a Joe Healy strike which was directed beautifully into the right hand side of the Blues net.

Chester did however get a goal back shortly after the restart. Matty Taylor collected the ball, turned well just inside the area and shot a ferocious left footed effort past Lee Butcher.

‘Relentless attack’

Chester started the game on the back foot and were forced to make a substitution early on following an injury to Kevin McIntyre. The veteran full back went off holding his groin and was replaced by Jamie Menagh.

Shortly after, Ross Killock came close to scoring for the Blues after rising highest from a cross, however he failed to direct his header on target.

Welling continued the relentless attack and proved to be the dominant team in the first half.

After the break, Chester started the much stronger side as Michael Kay cut in from the left flank to shoot from 20-yards, only to send his shot wide of Butcher’s post.

As the game went on, the Blues continued to press their opposition and their best chance of the game fell to Jason Jarret who found himself in lots of space in Welling’s penalty area. Lewis Turner squared the ball to the midfielder but he failed to organise his footing only to poke his effort wide.

As the game began to draw to a close, Welling came close to making it four after Harry Beautyman hit a powerful shot which just rose over Danby’s bar.

Just before full time, Chester were reduced to ten men following a late challenge from Ross Killock, which was his second bookable offence.

Kettle’s Man of the Match: Matty Taylor

The debutant from Forest Green Rovers performed well and helped the Blues out both upfront and in defence. His goal was well deserved for his efforts during the game and was undoubtedly the standout player.


Chester FC: Danby 5, Kay 5, Horan (c) 6, Killock 5, McIntyre 5 (Menagh) 5, L Turner 6, Jarrett 6, G Miller 6 (Bond 5), Rooney 6, Taylor 7, Reed 5 (Seddon 5).

Subs not used: Mahon, Fearon

Welling United: Butcher 6, Jack Obersteller 6, Gallagher 5, Bergqvist 5, Lafayette (c) 6, Hudson 5, McLaren 5 (Joe Obersteller 6), Beautyman 6, Healy 6, Cornick 6 (Guthrie 5), Sho Silva 6 (Ajala 5).

Subs not used: J Turner, Wakefield.

Referee: Darren England

Assistants: Martin Woods and Joe Johnson.

Fourth Official: Justin Hayes

Attendance: 2,074

What do you think? Were you at the match? What are your impressions of both teams? Have your say in the comments section below.

Image: Chester FC