Chester win relegation battle against Tamworth

Chester FC took all three points against Tamworth on Tuesday night after they won 2-0 at the Swansway Chester Stadium. The Blues took the lead through

Chester FC took all three points against Tamworth on Tuesday night after they won 2-0 at the Swansway Chester Stadium. The Blues took the lead through a Ben Richards-Everton own goal on 62 minutes. The lead was then doubled six minutes later after substitute, Danny Carlton bundled the ball into the back of the net from close range.
Smart play from John Rooney and Leeds United youngster Lewis Turner gave Chester the breakthrough they needed after a low ball into the box put Richards-Everton under pressure to clear the ball. The centre-half failed to deal with it and sliced the ball into the back of his own net.
Rooney was in the heart of the action again and sent a delightful ball into the path of Jamie Menagh who similarly to the first goal, sent a cross in from the right flank which resulted in a goal mouth scramble. Carlton was in amongst the mix and toe poked the ball under Cameron Belford to give the Blues a comfortable lead.
The game started off in Chester’s favour with the Blues showing determination to want to win the game following a relentless spell of attacking.
A different team
Rooney tried to emulate a similar strike of his brothers, Wayne, shooting from 35-yards out in an attempt to lob the goal keeper. Despite the shot being well struck, it went wide of Belford’s goal.
Craig Mahon, who was back in the side after having some time out due to a possible collarbone fracture, returned for the Blues and put the Lambs defence under a lot of pressure throughout. The Irishman weaved his way past two defenders and sent a low drive towards the Tamworth stopper who nervously dealt with the shot to palm it away to safety.
Kevin Thornton was in the attack for the Lamb Ground outfit shortly after and was causing Chester problems throughout the game. The striker had two attempts on target, which saw Aaron Chapman pull of a similar save to his counterpart and fretfully put the ball out for a corner.
Just before the break, Rooney won a free kick for Steve Burr’s men. The Liverpudlian himself took the shot which hit the wall. The ball then rebounded back out to him and he unleashed a 20-yard shot goal bound but Belford was there again to keep out the Blues.
Tamworth came out for the second half looking like a different team an immediately put Chapman under pressure. The ball was played into the Blues box an Justin Richards rose highest to force the Chesterfield loanee keeper into a superb save to steer the ball around his far post.
Moments later the Lambs were at it again, this time former Macclesfield Town striker, Matthew Barnes-Homer showing a nice piece of skill who then set up Lloyd Kerry who could only send his shot wide.
Menagh, Mahon and Rooney then began to play more freely and as a result opened up the Tamworth defence after smart one touch football left them scrambling for players at the back. Menagh then played the ball back to Rooney who looked to have directed a curling effort into the top left corner of the net before Belford again pulled off a good save.
Just before full time, Blues substitute, Nathan Turner came close to bagging another goal for Chester but his effort from just inside the area had a bit too much power and flew over the cross bar.
Speaking after the game, Chester’s Assistant Manager, Carl Macauley said: “It was really important that we got a result tonight. First half we started really positive, but they had a good spell for twenty minutes until we finally broke them down. I think whoever got the first goal tonight would have gone on to win the game – and thank god it was us.”
Kettle’s Man of the Match: John Rooney
The midfielder played extremely well for the Blues and was unlucky not to be on the score sheet himself. He created both of the goals with superb crosses out to the wings and was also pivotal at the back when Tamworth were on the attack.
Chester FC: Chapman, L Turner, Kay, Linwood (c) (Carlton 52), Heath, Bond, Jarrett, Rooney, Mahon (N Turner 79), Menagh (Lindfield 90), Hobson 
Subs: Danby, Blake
Tamworth: Belford, Evans, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Richards, Thornton, Caprice, Barnes-Homer (Batis-Cane 76), Mahon (c) (Haworth 83), Keane, Baker (Peniket 68) 
Subs not used: Hoban, Woolery
Booked: Caprice 
Referee: Anthony Backhouse 
Assistants: Chris Isherwood and John Dowd 
Fourth Official: Michael Bonage 
Attendance: 1,731 
What do you think of the match? Have your say in the comments section below.
Image: Terry Marland