Chester win in emphatic style to beat Halifax

Written by mrstevenpeach
Chester FC fought off league rivals FC Halifax Town 2-1 at the Swansway Chester Stadium on Thursday night, after another entertaining showdown between the two sides.

Chester FC fought off league rivals FC Halifax Town 2-1 at the Swansway Chester Stadium on Thursday night, after another entertaining showdown between the two sides.
High in popularity for entertainment and action, the derby between the fan-owned clubs has always been popular, and this one didn’t disappoint after goals from Craig Mahon and the winner late into stoppage time from Jamie Menagh earned the Blues all three points.
Chester took the lead after a smart piece of play found Mahon in the box, who slotted home his shot comfortably. Halifax did however get one back three minutes into stoppage time courtesy of a James Bolton strike which looked to have earned the Shaymen a point. 
This was until the final moments of the five minutes added time when Lewis Turner whipped in a delightful cross which met the feet of Mengah to smash home the winner.
The Blues came close to taking the lead minutes into the game after Gareth Seddon rose well and headed goal-wards but former Blues stopper, Matt Glennon saved well.
Chester continued to press on after their bright start, with Andy Bond coming close with a curling shot following a neat piece of play from Craig Mahon on the edge of the area.
Halifax fought back and had a golden chance to go ahead when the ball fell to Ryan Crowther, unfortunately he couldn’t organise his feet and placed his effort wide of the goal.
Shortly after, the visitors were reduced to 10 men after Josh Wilson committed to a tackle late which saw him stand on Seddon’s foot, and the referee immediately shown the player a straight red.
This gave Chester more firepower going forward and a series of three shots followed which saw two saved on the line by the Halifax defence and the final one hit the crossbar. 
The second half started much like the first with Chester on the attack once more. John Rooney intercepted the ball and hit a low drive goal wards but it failed to trouble the keeper.
‘Heart-breaking to see them equalise’
Crowther was in the heart of the action again for the Shaymen, but he could only guide his speculative effort rising over the bar.
Speaking after the game, Blues boss Steve Burr said:
“It was heart-breaking to see them equalise, I know we were against 10 men but I thought we took advantage of that.
I would’ve liked us to have got the second goal to have given us the cushion but fair play to us, we got the winner in the end which was fanastic.”
Kettle’s Man of the Match: Craig Mahon
After failing to break into the starting line up for much of the season, he stepped up well and proved to everybody why he should be selected in the future. He was always an attacking threat going forwards and was a handful for the Halifax defence to deal with.
Chester FC: Chapman 8 (Danby 6), L Turner 7, Killock 7, Brown 7, Heath 7, Rooney 7, Bond 6, Jarrett 6, Mahon 8 (Menagh 7), Seddon 6, Taylor 7 (Reed 5)
Subs not used: Linwood, Mainwaring
Booked: Rooney, Heath, Jarrett
FC Halifax Town: Glennon 7, Maynard 6, McManus 6, Roberts 6, Ainge 5, Marshall 5, Bolton 7, Wilson 5, Lenighan 5 (Jackson 5), Crowther 6 (Smith 5), Gregory 6
Subs not used: Senior, Challinor, Worthington
Booked: Ainge
Sent Off: Wilson
Referee: Peter Bankes
Assistants: Matthew Donohue and Helen Byrne
Fourth Official: Matt Parry
Attendance: 2,127
What do you think? Have your say in the comments section below.
Image: Google