Chester snatch all three points against Hyde

Steve Burr saw his side pick up all three points against Hyde FC on Saturday as the Swansway Chester Stadium witnessed a five goal thriller.

Steve Burr saw his side pick up all three points against Hyde FC on Saturday as the Swansway Chester Stadium witnessed a five goal thriller. Chester took the lead after Gareth Seddon hit the ball on the half volley and lobbed the goalkeeper to place his shot into the bottom left corner of the net.

This lead was doubled for the Blues after Josh Brizell put the ball into his own net. The Tigers defender made a desperate header in an attempt to clear their lines but only directed it into the back of the Hyde goal.

After the break, Chester made it three after a corner from John Rooney picked out Craig Hobson in the box who headed his shot home from close range. Hyde got two goals back in quick succession courtesy of an Adam Blakeman double. The left back scored both goals from free-kicks and struck the ball into the top corner of the net to secure the first. Similarly, Blakeman hit the ball well and sent his effort past Aaron Chapman with a low drive to secure the second. 

As the game kicked off, the Blues came close in the opening 20 seconds of taking the lead after Gareth Seddon was through one-on-one with Chris Kettings, but the Chester skipper was too casual and his shot was easily saved.

Moments later Hyde had a chance to put the ball in the back of the net after the Blues were caught napping, allowing Connor Hughes to receive the ball in acres of space inside the six-yard box, only for the Tigers striker to blaze his effort over the bar.

A man down

Seddon was once again in the heart of the action and pulled off a speculative scissor kick which went narrowly wide of Kettings post.

Chester started the second half as they finished the first. John Rooney intercepted the ball in his own area and sent a 50-yard shot goal wards which forced Kettings into a scrambling save to palm the ball around the post.

Regan Walker then had a golden chance of putting Hyde back into the game after an undealt – with cross found him at the back post. The forward flicked his header towards goal but placed it wide of the post from three-yards out.

Soon after, Chester were down to 10 men after Matty Brown was shown a red card from referee Ben Toner for throwing the ball at the head of a Hyde player.

This spurred the Ewen Fields outfit on and they were soon on the attack again, this time through Liam Tomsett. The midfielder struck a powerful shot which was dipping under the bar before the Chester stopper parried the ball over the bar.

Just before full time, a number of Hyde players linked up well to exploit the spaces in the Blues defence, but the effort at the end of the move could only be placed wide of Chapman’s far post.

Kettle’s Man of the Match: Lewis Turner

The Leeds United youngster put in a tremendous amount of effort for the Blues and adapted well in a number of different positions when he was called upon. Usually at right back, he performed well on the wing following the restructure after Matty Brown’s dismissal and created many moves going forward.


Chester FC: Chapman, L Turner, Brown, Kay, McIntyre, Bond, Jarrett, Rooney, Mahon (Linwood 79), Seddon (c) (Griffin 65), Hobson (Menagh 86). 

Subs not used: Danby, Peers

Booked: Mahon, Kay, Rooney, McIntyre

Sent Off: Brown

Hyde FC: Kettings, Brizell, Blakeman, Haining (Thornton 74), McQuade, Tomsett, Clark, Brown (c), Thurston (Day 88), Walker, Hughes.

Subs not used: Fitzgerald, Pollard, Kirby

Booked: Blameman, Tomsett

Referee: Ben Toner

Assistants: Matthew Pope and Martin Woods

Fourth Official: Richard Woodward

Attendance: 2,228

Have your say on the match and the performances of both teams in the comments section below.

Image: Google