India, currently the world’s largest democracy and a magnet for travellers; a fascinating country that has made numerous contributions to the world, here we will explore just a few.
- Hindi and English are just two of the twenty three official languages, which makes India the second largest English speaking country. And only 10% of the population (around 125 million) speak English.
- India experiences six seasons: summer, autumn, winter, spring, summer monsoon, and winter monsoon.
— NDTV (@ndtv) June 26, 2015
- It is illegal for foreigners and non-resident Indians (NRI’s) to leave the country carrying rupees, you have to change them before boarding your flight.
- Chess, algebra, trigonometry and calculus all originated in India.
- Until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world.
- The four religions born in India – Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world’s population.
- Indian Railways is the largest employer on the planet.
- The Indian Film Industry (Bollywood, the most widely known is only a part of this) is the most prolific, followed by Nollywood (Nigeria) and Hollywood.
— News Heads (@newsheads_in) June 5, 2015
- The Kumbh Mela festival is the world’s biggest gathering of Humans, around 100 million people attend!