Cuba, the largest and most populated island in the Caribbean, here we explore some facts about the island that show it is more than beaches, sunshine, cigars and the American embargo.
- Only 5% of the population have access to the open internet. Anyone who does access it without permission can get a 5 year prison sentence if they’re caught.
- Cuba has one of the highest literacy rates in the word: 99.8%
- Cuba also has one of the lowest birth rates in the Western hemisphere.
- Is one of two countries that does not sell Coca-Cola, the other is North Korea.
There are only 2 countries in the entire world that do not sell Coca – Cola, North Korea and Cuba.
— Loveable Facts (@lovable_facts) July 7, 2015
- Government vehicles are required to pick up hitchhikers if there is passenger space available.
- There are so many doctors in Cuba that they are often sent out to countries that have a shortage.
- Christmas was not an official holiday until 1997.
- Cuba is made up of the island of Cuba, Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth) and many other smaller islands.
- Cuba is the most populated country in all of the Caribbean, with more than 11 million residents.
Got another interesting fact about Cuba to share, or want to suggest the next place for us to visit in weird and wonderful facts? Let us know in the comments below!