In a new series we will interview a person from a country outside of the UK for their views on their life and their native country. This week we speak to Salvo, who lives in Sicily.
Where are you from?
Where do you work/what do you do?
I’m looking for a job.
What do you think is a unique aspect of your country?
I think food, my country is famous for it.
What do you think is the biggest issue facing your country at the moment?
That there is no jobs, mainly for young people.
What do you think first comes to mind when people are talking about your country?
I think pizza, pasta and mafia.
Is there anything you wish people knew about your country that doesn’t get mentioned in the media?
I think no, the media talk too much about everything.
Facts about Italy
- Italy is home to the largest number of UNESCO world heritage sites with 50.
- Italy is the largest producer of wine in the world.
- In 2013, an Italian man under house arrest asked to be sent to prison to escape his wife.
- Ferrari as a surname is the Italian equivalent of Smith.
- The unemployment rate stands at 12.5% (as of Februrary 2015) and particularly affects young people.
- The population of Italy is estimated to be 60,808,000.